29 April 2010

BMR/BMI what the fuck?

So, given my new found fitness I am looking into the physics of all this exercising and diet crap and really attempting to understand how my body is working and how I can get this weight off.  I am sure no one cares about all of this but in an effort for me to keep track of all my information I am keeping it logged here.

I was looking today to see if I am working out efficiently and start looking into BMR (basal metabolic rate) and BMI (body mass index)

So, my BMR is between 1495 and 1545 calories per day which means that if I laid in bed all day my body would burn this many calories.  So, to maintain my weight I have to multiply my BMR by 1.55.  So lets say I take 1495 calories as the amount my body burns then my daily caloric intake to maintain my weight is 2317 which seems like a TON.  So in order to lose a pound of fat you need to create a 500 calorie deficit every day.  So given that as per the machine at the gym I burn about 600 calories in an hour of doing the elliptical at what I would consider a moderate intensity.  Basically I would be kicking ass if I could do an hour on the elliptical every day and also creating a 500 calorie deficit in my food..unfortunately I don't think that will happen.

If you are at all interested in all of this you can calculate your BMR here: 
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

So, by calculators online it shows that in order to lose the weight I want to lose I should take in 1,577 calories per day to lose my weight by 11 Nov 2010 which to me is way too long.  My actual goal to lose (eventually) is about 28 lbs which puts me back into my size 4 jeans (hopefully!!)  LOL.  So, since I am doing weight watchers I need to also keep track of my caloric intake to see where I am.  I know WW works but I want to see how it compares with calorie tracking. 

On the food front, I am doing OK, I am trying my hardest to stick to the WW points every day but I swear, I find myself eating when I am NOT hungry and I'm not sure how to get around that.  Perhaps I should move my laptop out of the kitchen?  I think there is some emotional issue here that I cannot seem to get past.  I am eating every bit of the 23 points I get per day plus some of my 35 weekly points allowance.  If anyone has any suggestions on getting past this please let me know!  Someone told me that Dr. Phil's book addresses boredom snacking and emotional eating..I am not a fan of DP so I would prefer not to purchase his book....

No comments: