11 May 2009

The Victory Garden Is Born!

So we have been planning and waiting for the right timing to plant our organic victory garden and it finally happened, after weeks of rain we got the plants in the garden this morning!  I have decided that I am calling it a victory garden because we are at war and it just sounds so much better!  The technical definition is a garden planted during wartime and food shortages...I just went with it.

Olivia was mildly interested - much more so in the tools but she did put a few plants in and move the dirt around.  I hope she will enjoy picking the fruits and vegetables.  We supplemented our virgin soil with organic soil and over the years it should get better over there.  We also have a ton of worms so thats great too, they help out with all that.  Over the winter I might order some and put them out there to do some work for next spring..

We have herbs, broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes (3 kinds), and sweet red peppers - I figure if this goes well we will make it larger next year.

Here are a *few* pictures..

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesomeness!

SaRaH said...

THAT, my friend, is the PERFECT Victory Garden with the absolute cutest gardener. I could eat it all up.

Kimberly said...

that is awesome. I love OJ in her gardening gloves :)